What follows is a compilation of resources and data for studying U.S. electoral politics, especially the Presidential races. It is not intended to be comprehensive or even particularly authoritative, though care has been taken to be as accurate as possible. Advanced research astrologers working on U.S. issues have long-since accumulated many more dates than are listed here, but for the rest of us these bits of information will perhaps open some windows into ways of discerning how astral influence works in our public lives.
Beginning astrologers may enjoy simply erecting and looking at the candidates' charts. Those who are exploring mundane astrology but who haven't gone "hog wild" on the subject may enjoy erecting one or several election day charts and comparing those to the candidates' charts and their preferred U.S. chart.
Fans of the uncanny may enjoy looking into the particulars of "Tecumseh's Curse:" the mysterious coincidence between the Jupiter-Saturn conjunctions in earth signs that took place at approximately twenty year intervals and the fact that Presidents elected under them haven't generally completed their full term in office. The earth-sign conjunction series is now taking place less frequently as air-sign conjunctions begin to dominate the cycle. Is "the curse" real? Is it over? Use the data in this article to explore this phenomenon.
Many of the books listed below describe ways of approaching the data. I have also listed two versions of Lois Rodden and Mark McDonough's software, AstroDataBank, which is indeed a databank as well as being a fine research program. It contains (among much else) a well-documented compilation of birth data for important political figures and, of course, the U.S. Presidents. Perhaps the most frequently cited single book in contemporary discussions of mundane astrology is Nicholas Campion's Book of World Horoscopes. Publications on mundane astrology from AFA (the American Federation of Astrologers) are also frequently cited, and some of them are listed below. AFA's publication list is rich in books on the astrology of U.S. politics. More references from AFA can be found by going to their website, http://www.astrologers.com .
Please look in the articles archive on this website for more information on doing mundane astrology, and have fun with the data!
Some Interesting and Useful Sources:
[With apologies for incomplete citations.]
Study Sources in Hand at the Time of Writing
- The Fateful Presidential Cycle, Robert A. Hughes, copyright 1988, AFA, Tempe AZ, ISBN 0-86690-338-8.
- Charting Presidential Elections, Sylvia De Long, copyright 1982, AFA, Tempe AZ, ISBN 0-86690-30-6.
- The Signs of the Times (The Neptune Factor and America's Destiny), Stan Barker, copyright 1984, Llewellyn, St. Paul, MN, ISBN: 0-87542-030-3.
- Mundane Astrology, Michael Baigent, Nicholas Campion, Charles Harvey, copyright 1984, The Aquarian Press, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire., England, ISBN 0-85030-302-8.
- The True Horoscope of the United States, Helen M. Boyd, copyright 1975, ASI Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, ISBN 0-88231-007-0.
- Horoscopes of the U.S., States & Cities Carolyn R. Dodson, copyright 1975, AFA, Tempe, AZ, ISBN 0-86690-079-1.
- U.S. Presidential Elections, by J. Lee Lehman, Ph.D. in The Astrological Journal (The International Journal of the Astrological Association of Great Britain), Vol. 42, no. 5, Sept./Oct. 2000, London
- AstroDataBank, version 1.01, Lois Rodden and Mark McDonough, copyright 1999-99, Manchester, MA
Sources Referenced in the Above Books and Articles
- The Great Mutation Mundane Cycle, George J. McCormack, Astrotech, November 1946
- "Data Exchange (featuring United States Presidents)", Rodden L and O'Brien T, AFA Bulletin, Vol. 46, Num. 4 & 5 (1984), pp. 124-130, 155-162; AFA, Tempe, AZ.
- Horoscopes of the U.S. Presidents, Doris Chase Doane, 1971, Hollywood, CA
- Astrological Americana, Kraum R and Grant E A, 1949, AFA, Washington, DC.
- The Encyclopedia of American Facts and Dates, Gordon Carruthers et al., eds.
- AA. The Timetables of American History, Lawrence Urdang, ed. [no further citation].
- CC. Book of World Horoscopes, Nicholas Campion [out of print: further information not found].
- EE. U.S. Constitution
- FF. The Journals of the Continental Congress, Vol. I, 1774-1776 Washington 1823
- HH.U.S. Continental Congress Secret Journals, Vol. I Boston, 1820
- The Journals of the Continental Congress, Vol. I, II, III 1774-1776 Washington, 1905
- AstroDataBank, version 2.0, Lois Rodden and Mark McDonough, copyright 2000, Manchester, MA.
- The Astrology of America's Destiny - A Birth Chart for the United States of America, Dane Rudhyar, 1975, Vintage Books.
Chart Data for the USA
Estimated Data: Election Charts for the U.S.A. 2000 General Elections
- The Ebenezer Sibley Chart: July 4, 1776, 4:50 p.m. LMT, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (75W09, 35N57) [Source: A, D above].
- One of three commonly accepted Gemini Ascendant Charts: July 4, 1776, 2:17 a.m. LMT, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (75W09, 35N57) [Source: A, K above].
- Second of three commonly accepted Gemini Ascendant Charts: July 4, 1776, 2:13:32 a.m. EST (7:13:32 a.m. GMT, 21: 4:25 Sidereal), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (75W09, 35N57) (Ascendant 7 Gem. 14) [Source: F above].
- United Colonies' Declaration of War Against Britain: July 6, 1775, 11:00 a.m. LMT, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (75W09, 35N57) [Source: E above].
- Articles of Confederation Adopted (Scorpionic America): November 15, 1777 12:46 p.m. LMT, York, Pennsylvania (39N58 76W44) [based on research by David Solte who uses Koch houses with this data which was found on various websites].
- Constitution in Effect: March 4, 1789, 12:00 (noon) LMT, Philadelphia, PA (75W09, 35N57) [data source not found].
- Rudhyar rectification of Sibley Chart: July 4, 1776, 4:37 p.m. LMT,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (75W09, 35N57) [Source: U, above].
- Election Day: November 7, 2000 7:00 a.m. (estimated polls opening time) Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) (One source uses only the DC chart for the day, set for sunrise, with equal houses, estimating relative dignities of Saturn (for Democrats) and Jupiter (for Republicans) - see De Jong, reference B above). [Source for the date: U.S. Constitution "the Tuesday after the first Monday in November in calendar years divisible by four"].
- Electoral College Votes: December 18, 2000 12:00 noon (estimated voting time) Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) [source not found, prob. U.S. Constitution].
- New Congress Sworn In: January 3, 2001 12:00 noon, Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) [source not found, prob. U.S. Constitution].
- Congress Enumerates Presidential Votes: January 7, 2001 12:00 noon, Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) [source not found, prob. U.S. Constitution].
- Presidential Inauguration, January 20, 2001 12:00 noon, Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) [Time prescribed by Article XX, U.S. Constitution].
Also worth investigating:
- First Poll Opens, November 7, 2000 12:00:01 a.m., Dixville Notch, NH (71W18, 44N52).
- Last polling booth closes (Hawaii?).
- Democratic National Convention: the opening gavel was on August 14, 2000 1:32 p.m. PDT, Staples Center (118W16, 34N03), Los Angeles, CA [Time taken by Ed Kohout from live television coverage].
- First Democratic Primary Vote Cast by Internet: Mary Rose Wilcox (voter), June 7, 2000 12:01 a.m., Phoenix, AZ (112W04, 33N27) [Source: Associated Press report].
- Republican National Convention: [data not found at time of writing].
- George W. Bush, Jr. - Republican Party - July 6, 1946 7:26 a.m. EDT, New Haven, CT (72W56, 41N18) AA [Source: BC/BR].
- Al Gore - Democratic Party - March 31, 1948 12:53 p.m. EST, Washington, DC (77W02, 38N54) AA [Source: BC/BR].
- Ralph Nader - Green Party - February 7, 1934 4:52 a.m. EST, Winsted, CT (73W04, 41N55) A [Source: Nader, from family memory].
- Patrick Buchanan - Reform Party - November 2, 1938 (No time or place given, probable location in Northeastern U.S.) Date Only [Date source: http://www.gopatgo.org/000-p-profile.html ]
- Harry Browne - Libertarian Party - June 17, 1933 (Time not available, some are using the noon chart: 12:00 p.m. EDT), New York, NY (74W00, 40N43) Date Only [Source: http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/ ].
Vice Presidential Candidates
- Dick Cheney - Republican Party - January 30, 1941 (Time not available, some are using the noon chart: 12:00 p.m. CST.), Lincoln, NE (96W40, 40N48) Date Only [Source: News Reports].
- Joseph Lieberman - Democratic Party - February 24, 1942 7:00 a.m. EWT, Stamford, CT (73W32, 41N03) A [Source: family friend, from memory].
Jupiter Saturn Conjunctions
From 1789 to 2050, all times set for Washington DC (77W02, 38N54)
|July 17, 1802, 5:47 p.m. EST
|June 19, 1821, 12:13 p.m. EST
|January 26, 1842, 1:10 a.m. EST
|October 21, 1861, 7:26 a.m. EST||18Vi22|
|April 18, 1881, 8:37 a.m. EST
|November 28, 1901, 11:28 a.m. EST
|September 9, 1921, 11:15 p.m. EST
|August 7, 1940, 8:27 p.m. EST
|October 19, 1940, 11:28 p.m. EST||12 Ta28 Rx|
February 15, 1941, 1:40 a.m. EST||09Ta07|
February 18, 1961, 7:05 p.m. EST||25Cp12|
|December 31, 1980, 4:23 p.m. EST||09Li30|
|March 4, 1981, 1:56 p.m. EST||08Li06 Rx|
July 23, 1981, 11:17 p.m. EST||04Li56|
May 28, 2000, 11:03 a.m. EST||22Ta43|
December 21, 2020, 1:23 p.m.||EST 00Aq29|
October 31, 2040, 6:48 a.m. EST||17Li56|